Armstrong School History
The "new" Westborough Elementary opened for the first time at 50 West Street on September 8, 1952. At the time, it was considered a marvel of modern school construction, with fluorescent lighting, an "intercommunication system" with radio and record player, a sprinkler system, and pull-down cafeteria tables in the all-purpose room. In 1959, the school was re-named the J. Harding Armstrong School after a former Westborough high school principal and superintendent.
Armstrong started with two classrooms for each grade from 1-6. Through the years, the school has hosted a number of different grade structures, mostly grade 1-5 or 1-6 in the early years. In 1970, the school was changed to just a grade 5 school, with two kindergarten classes! From 1974 to the spring of 1996, the school consisted of just grade 5 or just grade 6.
In 1996, the school was closed for renovations, and the grade 5 students spent the year in one wing of the high school. The school more than doubled in size with the addition of a new wing. Thirteen classrooms were added, as well as a computer lab, music and art rooms, new gymnasium, and new office. Armstrong re-opened in the Fall of 1997 as a grade 4-5 school. In 1999, four portable classrooms were added at the back of the school to provide space for an increasing population of Westborough students.
In 2002, with the opening of the Mill Pond Intermediate School, Armstrong became the town's third kindergarten through grade 3 school. During this 2002-2003 school year, the school celebrated the 50thanniversary of Armstrong with the creation of a time capsule and special activities during Field Day. A new flag for the school flagpole was also dedicated. This flag had flown over the U.S. Capitol building in Washington, D.C.
See the summary of the Armstrong history for further information about the grades, principals, and interesting facts about the school.